Sunday, January 24, 2016

Arbitrary?

I read something on xkcd.com recently (the Click and Drag comic) that made me think about... you guessed it... goals.  One of the characters said "'Because it's there' is poetic than 'I'm rich enough that my goals are arbitrary.

It's easy to point fingers, but what this comic seems to be saying is that the only goals worthy of any sort of financial investment are those necessary for mere survival.  Now, I know that people can sometimes be frivolous  and wasteful (to say the least), but pretty much everyone has "arbitrary" goals that cost at least some money.

Is that selfish?  Should we not have hobbies until everyone in the world is fed and has a warm place to sleep - or until all the world has heard the Gospel?  I guess I don't have the answer to that one.  Personally I enjoy taking simple, low-cost things and seeing what sort of cool stuff I can do with them - but truthfully it limits how much I can advance in any one particular area.  In order to really learn computers you need an environment in which you can simulate different scenarios and experiment, and that costs money.

Like I said, I don't have a simple answer - but I suppose a not-so-simple answer is just to be wise and intentional about how you spend your money and what goals you set and why you set them.

No comments:

Post a Comment